Thread: First-gen MBP has no working sensors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First-gen MBP has no working sensors

Hey guys.

I tried using the instructions found here to install sensors for hard drive temperature and CPU core temperature. Everything installed without a hitch, but when I add the applet to Gnome and go to the "Sensors" tab, only hddtemp appears on the list. Nothing for CPU cores.

I did indeed follow the instructions for coretemp, and the module is loaded:
    Code:
    adrian@gauss:~$ sudo lsmod | grep coretemp
    coretemp                8448  0
    However, this also happens:
    Code:
    adrian@gauss:~$ sudo sensors -s
    No sensors found!
    Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
    Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
    So I run sensors-detect and it tells me to add "coretemp" to my /etc/modules file, so I do, and I restart. Same thing, nothing has changed. I tried this:
    Code:
    adrian@gauss:~$ dmesg | grep coretemp
    [   46.282165] coretemp coretemp.0: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
    [   46.282188] coretemp coretemp.1: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
    I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Can anyone help me? I'd really feel a lot safer using Ubuntu on the Macbook Pro if I could see what the temperature was like. It certainly FEELS hotter when running Ubuntu as opposed to OS X but I want to make sure it's at an acceptable level.

Thanks in advance
    If your problem has been solved, please mark the threas as [SOLVED]. This helps people with the same problem know which threads to check out when they do a search on their issue many days later

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: First-gen MBP has no working sensors

They do seem to run hotter in Ubuntu.

coretemp should be the way to go, but judging from the error messages you posted, it sounds like it is not recognizing your CPU. (you have a Core Duo, not a Core2 Duo, right?)

I would guess that it is a bug in coretemp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    coretemp should be the way to go, but judging from the error messages you posted, it sounds like it is not recognizing your CPU. (you have a Core Duo, not a Core2 Duo, right?)

I would guess that it is a bug in coretemp.
    Yes, it's a Core Duo, since this is the first gen. I considered a bug in coretemp, but since pretty much all first-gen MBPs have the same hardware, and certainly somebody must have reported this before me if that were the case -- but I couldn't find anyone else with those errors judging from a forum search.

Can anyone else with a first-gen MBP confirm that they can or cannot use any CPU temperature sensors?

Should I file a bug report on Launchpad?

Thanks, cyberdork You seem to come to my rescue an awful lot!
    If your problem has been solved, please mark the threas as [SOLVED]. This helps people with the same problem know which threads to check out when they do a search on their issue many days later

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are actually not too many people posting with 1gen Macbooks anymore... For the most part, they are pretty easy to setup now that most of the issues have been worked out. IDK that launchpad would be the right place since it is likely not particular to Ubuntu... but it might be a good starting point for getting info.

You are the only one I have seen reporting such an issue.