Thread: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

I know that Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is not yet officially released, but I'm so exited and I want to plan for the installation from now! The thing is that I've used the Wubi installation method for installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, and still I want to keep using it, as I also want to keep my Windows installed and I hated the partitioning method. Anyway, what I want to do is to update 9.10 to 10.04 without losing my data such as the documents and the data stored in the applications (emails, music library on Rhythmbox...) Is that possible or do I have to backup all data and start a clean Wubi install?

I <3 Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

I think you can update through the normal means, but likelyhood is (as it always does) something will break through updating, so i would backup the C:\wubi folder just in case

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

Quote Originally Posted by Monotoko View Post
    I think you can update through the normal means, but likelyhood is (as it always does) something will break through updating, so i would backup the C:\wubi folder just in case
    I would sure back up my stuff but do you mean that the main procedure is the same as what I did the first time I installed Ubuntu? Like downloading the CD, and then running the Wubi installation from Windows? Wouldn't this erase the previous Ubuntu installation and the data saved on it? Thank you so much for the quick response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

You should look into the installation subforum because there is a pinned thread there dealing with the testing of Wubi 10.04.

If you try to force an update before that's ready, you'll only break the installation you have.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You should look into the installation subforum because there is a pinned thread there dealing with the testing of Wubi 10.04.

If you try to force an update before that's ready, you'll only break the installation you have.

Thank you for your directions, I'm new here, and I didn't notice the installation subforum. I'll check it right now.

I'm not trying to get Ubuntu 10.04 right now. I'm only planning on how to install it when it's officially released 18 days from today. My main question is that, do I have to uninstall Wubi 9.10 from Windows and then run a clean install for the new Wubi 10.04, or is there a possible option where I can update it without the need to delete my current data.

I'll check the installation subforum right now. Thank you so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: How to update Ubuntu Wubi install from 9.10 to 10.04?

Ah... I'm so stupid! Is there a way to move this thread to the Installation & Upgrades subforum?